Local News

Man Receives Life Sentence for Fatally Stoning Wife in Marange Village

Man Receives Life Sentence for Fatally Stoning Wife in Marange Village

In a shocking case that sent shockwaves through the community, a man from Marange has been sentenced to life imprisonment for stoning his wife to death.

The incident occurred on April 13 of last year in Murwira Village. Sonile Chatizwa (22) had left her marital home, accusing her husband, Kudakwashe Kiven Chitsiku (37), of infidelity and abuse.

The verdict was delivered by Justice Isaac Muzenda of the Mutare High Court, who took into account the brutal and vicious nature of the attack. According to a police report, Chitsiku used three stones, two of which had sharp edges, weighing 5.3kg, 3.9kg, and 3.7kg, respectively. He also used a brick weighing 4.25kg.

The tragic incident took place at Chatizwa’s uncle’s home in Marange, where she sought refuge after leaving her matrimonial home, located about 4km away. Prior to the attack, Chatizwa had disclosed the extreme abuse she had endured at the hands of her unfaithful husband.

During the trial, Mr. Mwaionei Dhaure, Chitsiku’s uncle, testified that he witnessed the couple quarreling at Ms. Virginia Dhaure’s homestead, but was unable to hear the content of their argument. It was revealed that the couple frequently engaged in disputes, often accusing each other of infidelity.

According to Mr. Dhaure’s account, he was near the quarreling couple when he saw Chatizwa running towards him, carrying their one-year, three-month-old baby on her back, with Chitsiku in pursuit, holding a brick. Chatizwa sought refuge behind Mr. Dhaure, informing him that her husband intended to kill her, despite their dispute having been resolved at Chief Marange’s court.

Before Chatizwa could finish explaining the situation, Chitsiku caught up with them, striking her on the head with the brick. She fell unconscious, and Chitsiku proceeded to snatch their baby from her back. He then took a large stone and crushed Chatizwa’s head, resulting in her immediate death. Mr. Dhaure alerted other villagers and reported the incident to Odzi Police Station.

Another witness, Mr. Teramai Chitima, confirmed Mr. Dhaure’s account, stating that from a distance, he witnessed Chitsiku crushing Chatizwa’s head with a boulder held in both hands. After committing the crime, Chitsiku fled into the bush, armed with a rope.

The post-mortem report confirmed that Chatizwa died from the injuries sustained during the horrific attack. The court, recognizing the heinous nature of the crime, handed down a life sentence to Chitsiku, ensuring that justice was served for this tragic loss of life.

Related Articles

Back to top button