Manchester City charged by FA over player conduct in Spurs draw

Manchester City have been charged by the Football Association with failing to control their players during Sunday’s 3-3 draw with Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League.

Several City players surrounded referee Simon Hooper late in the game after he stopped play when Jack Grealish was through on goal for a foul on Erling Haaland in the build-up, having previously waved play-on.

“Manchester City have been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20.1 after their players surrounded the match official during the Premier League fixture against Tottenham Hotspur,” the FA said in a statement on Monday.

ALSO READ: Man Utd willing to sell Sancho to Juventus for £26m

“It’s alleged that, during the 94th minute of the fixture, the club failed to ensure their players do not behave in way which is improper.”

City have until Thursday to respond to the charge. They slipped to third in the standings after the draw, three points behind leaders Arsenal and their next fixture sees them travel to face Aston Villa on Wednesday.

City were denied a huge chance to win the match in stoppage time when referee Simon Hooper stopped the game to award Guardiola’s men a free-kick just as Jack Grealish was bearing down on goal.

The decision sparked a furious reaction from City players and Guardiola on the touchline.

Erling Haaland could face punishment after taking to social media to criticise the call.

However, when facing the media, Guardiola kept his cool.

Arsenal boss Arteta described the decision to award Newcastle’s winning goal against his side last month as a “disgrace” and “embarrassing” to the Premier League.

Arteta faces a Football Association charge for his comments, which were backed up by Arsenal in a club statement.

“Next question. I will not do a Mikel Arteta comment,” Guardiola said when asked about the incident.

“It is hard when you review the image. The referee decides to blow the whistle after he has already said to play on.

“After the pass, the whistle, so I do not understand this action.”

After draws against Chelsea and Liverpool, City have now failed to win in three consecutive Premier League games for the first time in over six years.

Guardiola’s men were made to pay for both a profligacy in front of goal and defensive errors.

Spurs captain Son Heung-min scored at both ends in a frantic first 10 minutes.



Related Articles

Back to top button