The coincidence of yesterday’s long awaited announcement on reopening of a key music business enabler – the bars and our timing for unveiling the 2022 edition of the Zimbabwe Music Awards, is not sheer luck. We have secured both the light and the tunnel to the end.
Eighteen months under lockdown with tight restrictive measures implemented by Government to manage the COVID-19 global pandemic, the music keeps playing. The digital cosmos became the primary platform for performance and distribution of music works. Industry players have over the period embraced the ‘new normal’ building smart partnerships between promoters, platform providers, content and sponsorship. The quality is exceptional! The worldly role of the fourth estate legs it up the road. Television, radio, newspapers and blogs, fittingly connected the music and the people.
Let me take this appropriate time to make it official that our ZIMA22 Headline Partner is PPC Zimbabwe, where Strength is Guaranteed. We have cemented this partnership over the years through our convergence on strong commitment and determination in our respective trades and value systems.
It is reassuring that corporate giants continue to locate value around recognizing, promoting, celebrating and awarding our musicians, their works and the music support systems. We welcome Wezhaz Executive Cars, Barmlo Investments, Kitchen Link and the Bullion Group for coming aboard!
135 days to ZIMA22, we are here to share with you the details of the roadmap;
14th July 2021, ZIMA22 Awards Event date announcement. Saturday 19 February 2022
1st November 2021, Opening of Entries
31st December 2021, Closing of Entries
1st – 16th January 2022, Adjudication Process
20th January 2022, Nominees Announcement
21st January – 19th February 2022, Public Vote
19th February 2022, The Awards Event
20th February 2022, The After Party
ZIMA 2022 theme: “Rhythm, Roots and Cultural Diversity” uniting Zimbabwe’s diverse musical roots, rhythm and culture under one strong voice and sound.
The glamorous Zimbabwe Music Awards will be a beautifully disruptive hybrid of a virtual and physical event, scheduled for Saturday 19th of February 2022.
• We completed building a Home for one of Zimbabwe’s celebrated music icons Comrade Chinx in Sentosa, Harare and handed it over to him and his family.
• We added more awards categories so that the ZIMA becomes representative of all of Zimbabwe’s rich music cultural diversity and also introduced retro awards that seek to award the outstanding musicians that stood out before the establishment of ZIMA.
• We established the ZIMA head office in Harare, repositioning ZIMA from an event into an institution.
• ZIMA hosted a music awards recognition and celebration event at The Country Club in Highlands Harare, rebranding itself as a premium event hosting high profile notable guests.
• ZIMA commissioned an external adjudication steering committee comprising of 12 qualified persons to oversee and develop the ZIMA Rule Book.
• ZIMA hosted a successful Virtual wards event that was broadcasted on the national television ZBCTV and various streaming platforms that exposed the event to a total reach of over 5 million.
• We donated groceries and renovated the house of the ZIMA2021 Lifetime Achievers the ‘Cool Crooners’ in Bulawayo.
Committing to another successful ZIMA2022