Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Program 2024: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field (Fully Funded to Berlin, Germany) – Opportunities for Africans
Application Deadline: December 4th, 2023, at 23:59 (Central European Time).
Reporters Without Borders Germany is currently accepting applications for the Berlin Fellowship Program: Empowering Journalists in the Digital Field. This program invites six journalists from crisis areas to spend six months in Berlin, starting from May 2024 until the end of October 2024.
During their stay in Berlin, the fellows will have the opportunity to take a break and participate in a comprehensive training program on digital self-defense for journalists. The program is fully funded by the Berlin Senate Department for Economic Affairs, Energy, and Public Enterprises.
This program is open to professional journalists, bloggers, media professionals, and citizen journalists who meet the following criteria:
– Exposed to digital threats of any form.
– Have experienced digital violence, such as doxing or impersonation.
– Have a desire to educate themselves on digital security to improve personal security and the safety of their sources.
– Interested in sharing the knowledge gained during the scholarship program with colleagues in their home regions.
– Ideally, have some experience in teaching or other areas of knowledge transfer.
– Able and willing to fully participate in the program, including the comprehensive digital security training. The training period requires approximately 20 to 25 hours per week.
– Preference will be given to applicants working as investigative journalists on topics such as the climate crisis, corruption, labor rights, or migration.
Selected fellows will receive the following benefits:
– Coverage of travel costs.
– Assistance with visa-related matters.
– Provided and paid-for accommodation in Berlin for the duration of the scholarship.
– Monthly allowance of 1000€.
– Health insurance coverage.
– Public transportation expenses in Berlin.
– Participation in an extensive training program on digital security conducted by experienced trainers.
– Insights into the activities of Reporters Without Borders Germany, a globally-active journalist and human rights organization.
Period of Stay in Berlin:
The fellowship program has a duration of six months, starting from the beginning of May 2024 until the end of October 2024. Exact travel dates to and from Berlin will be communicated to selected participants.
To apply for the Berlin Fellowship Program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
– Strong command of the English language, as the entire program will be conducted in English.
– Adequate experience working as a journalist, whether as a professional journalist or as a citizen journalist.
– Strong interest in learning about digital security for journalists. Proficiency in digital security is not required; anyone familiar with working with a computer and smartphone can apply.
– Willingness and ability to fully participate in all program activities.
– Intent to return to their home region after completing the fellowship in Germany.
To apply for the Berlin Fellowship Program, please follow these steps:
1. Fill out the application form and questionnaire.
2. Send the following four documents in separate PDFs:
– Completed and signed application form.
– Completed questionnaire.
– Curriculum vitae (CV).
– Identity document (ID or passport).
For more information, please visit the official webpage of the Reporters Without Borders Berlin Scholarship Program 2024.